Sunday, October 13, 2013

Review: Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen



Title: Along for the Ride
Author: Sarah Dessen
Publisher:Speak
Genre: romance, young adult
Pages: 383
Format: Paperback
Rating: 5/5


I had planned to read one of Sarah Dessen's books during the summer, but I didn't know it was going to be this one. While I was browsing the bookstore, I decided it was either Along for the Ride or Keeping the Moon. I decided to go with the former.(I'm still planning on picking up Keeping the Moon).

I had only read one book by Sarah Dessen before this one which is The Truth About Forever, but I knew that I was going to love this book. Sarah Dessen's writing style is so captivating. I honestly enjoyed every minute reading this book.

Like Sarah Dessen, Summer is also my favorite season of the year. And that is another reason that I liked this book.

Auden life has mostly been centered on school work and studying. She hasn't experienced a fun childhood. She didn't learn how to ride a bike. Her teenage life wasn't any more interesting. So when her brother sends her a picture frame from Greece with his picture in it and the words "The Best of Times" written on it, she decided to go spend her summer at her dad's house in Colby.

I totally related to Auden. In some ways, we were alike. Her life is complicated because of her parents' divorce and her mother wanting her to be a perfectionist at everything. I admired that she is not the girl who gives up easily. She's a hard worker. But she also realizes that there are more important things in life than homework and notebooks.

At first, I didn't get why Auden didn't like Heidi. She wasn't that annoying. What annoyed me was Auden's father. He was so selfish at the beginning, ignoring Heidi and his daughter in order to work on his book, leaving Heidi with all the hard work. I basically hated him. And I got so angry when I found out that he only wanted Auden to come just to help Heidi babysit. What kind of a father is he?! I also disliked Auden's mother for most of the novel. However, I changed my opinion of her at the end.

It wasn't until Eli came until things started to get better. At the beginning, he and Auden happen to bump into each every once in a while. Oh Eli *makes dreamy face* he's just so amazing. I loved every aspect of him.

Adam was also one of my favorite characters. I liked his dorky personality. Plus, his secret crush on Maggie was kinda cute. I didn't like Maggie and her friends Esther and Leah at first, but when they helped Auden at the Eli's ex-girlfriend's party, I realized how nice and funny they were. My favorite part of the book was the food fight at Adam and Wallace's house. It was so hilarious!!

I loved this book so much! I can't wait to read another book by Sarah Dessen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment